Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, multi patented, clean technology start-up, located in Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines an environmentally safe, abundant and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. Our advanced flow battery technology combines high performance with low cost, renewable integration designed for commercial, industrial, and utility applications.
Our team boasts decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. We are team building a disruptive, cutting edge technology. We are looking for motivated, hard-working, like-minded people to join our team of individuals who have a passion for sustainability, the environment, and who thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting. This position involves close interaction with numerous engineering disciplines. Applicant must be comfortable working in a team environment that is fast paced and dynamic. A strong commitment to quality and continuous improvement is required.
The Energy Center (EC) Product Manager will be responsible for defining and owning the execution of product strategy. This person will work closely with the entire senior leadership team (SLT) to integrate all near and long term technical and product development initiatives into a cohesive product strategy and go-to-market plan for sustainable growth. This position will take the voice of the market/customer and covert into MRD/PRD to drive alignment with internal stakeholders. The position will focus on transitioning the company from being an organization that develops technology into one that executes on delivering compelling product solutions for well-defined market segments in order to achieve revenue growth and margin objectives for the Company.
- Overall ownership of the Energy Center product line, including development of competitive positioning, value proposition and product road-map.
- Creation of Market Requirement and Product Requirement documentation for each stage of the product road-map.
- Lead reviews and refinement with Engineering, Operations and GTM staff to ensure alignment.
- Own development and execution of revenue and profitability plan for the product line.
- Develop and maintain competitive analysis to ensure the competitive positioning of the product over the product life-cycle.
- Collaborate with long-term R&D efforts to align future capabilities with market needs.
- Ensure that strategies are operationalized with the involvement of the SLT.
- Actively support customer engagement and sales cycles with the Sales team.
- Ensure accountabilities and expectations are clear.
- Develop deep knowledge of issues, and perspective key decisions with the executive team.
- Plan and lead execution of product and solution launches.
- Be responsible for full product line P&L, executing revenue/margin targets, approved by CEO.
- Own migrating product roadmap within approved timelines using approved strategies (e.g. sales channel development, manufacturing plans, EPC support, after sales support).
Key Behaviors and Traits:
- Inspiring and motivating: Gets the best performance from the team. Taps into people’s needs, interests and goals to motivate them to achieve. Inspires commitment from people to the organization and its goals. Mobilize people toward high performance and goal achievement.
- Influencing: Has the ability to influence people at all levels and in all parts of the organization. Very persuasive; able to sell ideas inside and outside the organization with supporting data to back up claims. Gains support and cooperation from others. Exhibits both diplomacy and toughness during negotiations.
- Build trust: Contribute to a culture that fosters trust. Inspires confidence and loyalty from others. Demonstrates the highest integrity. Is consistently fair and respectful with people, regardless of the situation. Base decisions on ethics and principles, as well as business needs.
- Collaboration: Works to create “win-win” solutions. Resolves conflicts in a constructive manner. Works for the good of the total organization, not just a portion of it. Develops networks and alliances across the organization.
- Encourage open communication: Encourages a dialogue of issues. Listens attentively. Allows and even encourages people to push back when they disagree. Communicates knowledge in a timely and open manner.
- Interpersonal Savvy: Has insight into the motives and needs of others. Displays interpersonal sensitivity. Demonstrates perceptiveness in dealing with others.
- Market: Ability to create a fact-based, analytical approach to defining market and product requirement that move beyond instinct, enabling a detailed, numerically supported plan for product capabilities.
- Measurement: Create a cross-functional discipline to ensure that real-life customer experiences match with the product vision, allowing for continual improvement and benefit realization.
- At least 5 years of Product Management experience in energy and/or industrial hardware products
- Demonstrated experience working with distributed energy systems, ideally energy storage or related distributed energy resource solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
- Strong strategic thinker with proven product management level experience leading the full range of product development activities with a highly technical company and industry.
- Known for the ability to develop strategy and will have a successful track record of delivering results in a fast-paced environment.