Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, clean technology start-up located in Wilsonville, Oregon. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy storage system that combines an environmentally safe and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. We are recognized as an emerging leader in the long-duration energy grid scale storage markets.
We are a multi-disciplinary team boasting decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. As we commercialize our global product platform, we are looking for additional expertise in electrical and power engineering for grid-tied and microgrid storage applications. This is an opportunity to make your mark on the edge of the next generation electrical grid architecture.
If you are motivated, hard-working, have a passion for sustainability and the environment, and thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting we would like to hear from you.
The Software Engineer will work closely with our development team to create software that will run the flow battery systems. The main focus of the programmer will be the analysis and modeling of energy systems to help the flow battery systems run at optimal performance for the location and application that they are deployed.
In this technical position, you will:
- Evaluate, design, develop, upgrade, and maintain new and existing firmware for use in flow battery systems
- Design algorithms to operate the battery systems optimally in micro-grid or grid-tied applications
- Participate in the testing process throughout the design cycle of the battery systems
- Participate in customer design meetings and acceptance reviews
- Work with design engineers and test technicians to provide technical assistance as needed
- Assist in debugging field problems
Education and Experience
- BS or higher in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience
- System modeling experience
- Strong coding skills in C/C++
- Experience creating software applications for varied hardware platforms
- Experience writing code to interface with hardware systems
- Experience working with database systems
- Hands-on experience in software architecture and design
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a small, dynamic team
- U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency.
- As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis. At this time, we cannot support a visa sponsorship or transfer for someone who is of H1B1 status.
Desired Skills & Knowledge
- Experience with Linux system management
- Understanding of linear mathematics, statistics, optimization
- Ability to work with minimal direction
- Experience in a startup environment
- Highly motivated self-starter who needs minimal direction and works well with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Able to work independently and proactively. Have good interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a small, dynamic team responsible for product development.
- Legally authorized to work in the USA - U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency.
What ESS Offers
- In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, a generous PTO accrual.