Energy Storage Systems (ESS Inc) is a fast-growing, venture-backed, multi patented, clean technology start-up, located in Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines an environmentally safe, abundant and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. Our advanced flow battery technology combines high performance with low cost, renewable integration designed for commercial, industrial, and utility applications.
Our team boasts decades of experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies. We are team building a disruptive, cutting edge technology. We are looking for motivated, hard-working, like-minded people to join our team of individuals who have a passion for sustainability, the environment, and who thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting. This position involves close interaction with numerous engineering disciplines. Applicant must be comfortable working in a team environment that is fast paced and dynamic. A strong commitment to quality and continuous improvement is required.
ESS is looking for a motivated, hard-working Electrical Controls Technician to join our team. The Electrical Controls Technician job duties include:
- Assembles, installs, tests and maintains electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, apparatus, and fixtures, using hand tools and power tools.
- Diagnoses malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and components, using test equipment and hand tools, to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem.
- Responsible for the connection of wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components.
- When the work has been completed - must inspect electrical systems, equipment, and components to identify hazards, defects, and the need for adjustment or repair, and to ensure compliance with codes.
The ideal candidate is someone who adaptable and understands the culture, the rigor and the challenges of a start-up environment.
- Replace items such as circuit breakers, fuses, switches, electrical and electronic components, or wire.
- Responsible for the wiring, terminating, startup commissioning and field troubleshooting of industrial electrical control panels and associated components.
- Test electrical systems and continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures, using testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, and oscilloscopes, to ensure compatibility and safety of system.
- Plan layout and installation of electrical wiring, equipment and fixtures, based on job specifications and local codes.
- Use a variety of tools and equipment such as measuring devices, power tools, and testing equipment including oscilloscopes, ammeters, and test lamps.
- Work from ladders, scaffolds, and roofs to install, maintain or repair electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures.
- Place conduit (pipes or tubing) inside designated partitions, walls, or other concealed areas, and pull insulated wires or cables through the conduit to complete circuits between boxes.
- Troubleshoot automated production machinery, identify root cause for trouble & repair as necessary.
- Diagnose & replace faulty electrical & electronic components of machine such as relays, switches, motors, positions sensing devices, & printed circuit boards.
- Connect electric power to machines & equip, and control wires between machines & equip.
- Work w/ mechanics & lead persons to diagnose faulty machinery.
- Able to diagnose simple control system using PLC (i.e Panel layout, wiring & testing).
- Able to read and make electrical schematic drawings.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Ideal candidates should have experience in troubleshooting, repair and installation of industrial machinery
- Experience with reading electrical schematics and mechanical P&IDs a must.
- Implementing predictive and preventative maintenance programs to minimize unscheduled downtime.
- Be able to read schematics and ladder logic in performing duties.
- Familiarity with Servo Systems and Controls
- LC/SLC controllers, troubleshooting AC and DC motor controls, including A/C and D/C drives, power distribution, relay controls.
- A good understanding of instrumentation and PID controls
- Knowledge of applicable electrical codes, standards, and regulations
- Knowledge of electrical application for high and low voltage electric system
- Skill in the installation, repair and maintenance of all types of electrical system equipment and components.
- Familiarity with single and three phase power systems and power distribution systems.
- Familiarity with power conversion equipment.
- Familiarity with computer and micro-controller systems.
- Capable of troubleshooting both electrical and control systems. Experience with high voltage a plus.
- Experience with robotic equipment; must be able to troubleshoot (reset / restart).
- Capability to work on and around industrial power systems.
- Experience with battery or fuel cell systems a plus.
- Work independently and proactively.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a small, dynamic team.
Requirements & Qualifications
- AS Degree or higher in Electronics -or- completion of a four-year technical training program in electrical repair and two (2) years electrical experience
- Legally authorized, U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency. – See Note:
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. unassisted.
- Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment with dynamic daily priorities.
- Experience in new-product introduction and scale to manufacturing.
What ESS Offers
- Benefits: In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 6 paid holidays; 401K, a generous PTO accrual; and public transportation assistance.
- Pay dependent on experience and skill set