Catalyzing a cleaner future.
ESS is a globally recognized leader in sustainable energy storage and is consistently identified as one of the most innovative and exciting technology players in energy storage. Trading on the NYSE (GWH), it is poised to be one of the fastest growing energy technology companies in the world, with projects already across 4 continents and an upcoming public offering. The ESS vision is about enabling the decarbonization of the grid by enabling us to achieve up to 100% of our electricity from clean, sustainable renewable energy.
These are ambitious goals, and we are pursuing them with passion. At ESS, we are leading the energy transition, creating the sustainable energy solutions of the future to help individuals, businesses and communities change energy into lasting value.
ESS is seeking a dynamic Technical Writer. Candidates with knowledge of large and complex industrial products, containerized manufacturing & transport are highly desired. Experience in battery, fuel cell technologies or power generation systems are helpful. The Technical Writer will plan, design, write, edit, and produce major manual works and other smaller jobs. Works as a project team member, working with other technical writers, editors and illustrators as required. Responsible for exercising independent judgment to successfully execute a complete product documentation introduction on schedule and within budget.
- Creates and publishes technical documentations and manuals. Collects and interprets technical data or information and coordinates layout for publication.
- Plans and develops major manual works, from original concept to design, outline, writing, editing, artwork, and final production. Works with other contributors as needed. Requires little supervision and is able to successfully produce one or more major manual works and coordinate multiple simultaneous projects.
- Develops and maintains documentation project schedules that complement engineering project schedules, and communicates project status on a weekly basis.
- Researches and collects data through engineering documentation, product specifications and other pertinent available source data. Interviews engineering, marketing, manufacturing, customer services, and other project team members for information.
- Participates in product design meetings and other product-related meetings, providing consequential input.
- Expands product knowledge through continuing education in industry technology as well as the technology of the products. Maintains familiarity with customers/target audiences and their documentation needs.
- Expands communication and publications knowledge through continuing education in industry technologies and methodologies.
Proficiencies, Skills & Experience
- Communication/Writing Skills: demonstrates thorough understanding of electronic products, the industry, and customer requirements through well organized and well written product documentation.
- Analytical Skills: self-starter in gathering necessary electronic technical materials and training, and in interviewing appropriate marketing, engineering, and customer services personnel for setting and achieving customer satisfaction goals.
- Verbal Communication Skills: direct and concise, effective listener. Communicates clearly about project directions and status to management and project team members.
- Flexibility: adapts to situations and to changing priorities, project assignments and methods of implementation.
- Initiative: initiates activities, gains source data, and develops documentation plans, schedules, and drafts to produce quality documentation on time and within budget.
- Dependability/Tenacity: follows through on project commitments, meets project schedules, is at work each day on time.
- Teamwork: effective in group situations, both as a team member and team leader.
- Responsiveness: initiates efforts to identify and respond to internal and external customer requirements.
- Technical Leadership and Problem Complexity: finds creative solutions to meeting program objectives while ensuring project output meets established publication standards, quality, and product introduction schedules. Viewed as a leader by members of the Technical Publications group and by peers within other departments.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree, Engineering field of study preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 yrs direct technical writing experience.
- Working knowledge of customer requirements, company products, purpose and structure of a document and user’s level of understanding.
- Familiarity/experience in electric utility, renewable or energy industry.
- Writing Skills: excellent English grammar and composition skills; ability to use computer-based publishing tools; constructive, cooperative, and effective interview skills; technical understanding of computer and software products.
- As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis. At this time, we cannot support a visa sponsorship or transfer for someone who is of H1B1 status.
What ESS Offers
- In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, a generous PTO accrual.