Catalyzing a cleaner future.
ESS is a globally recognized leader in sustainable energy storage and is consistently identified as one of the most innovative and exciting technology players in energy storage. Trading on the NYSE (GWH), it is poised to be one of the fastest growing energy technology companies in the world, with projects already across 4 continents and an upcoming public offering. The ESS vision is about enabling the decarbonization of the grid by enabling us to achieve up to 100% of our electricity from clean, sustainable renewable energy.
These are ambitious goals, and we are pursuing them with passion. At ESS, we are leading the energy transition, creating the sustainable energy solutions of the future to help individuals, businesses and communities change energy into lasting value.
ESS is seeking a dynamic Mechanical Engineer with a strong background in mechanical design, Thermodynamics, fluid flow and structural analysis. The role will focus on the packaging of ESS’ advanced battery technology to ensure product life, cost and efficiency. The successful candidate will have excellent project management skills and an ability to manage multiple projects effortlessly. Candidates with knowledge of large and complex industrial products, containerized manufacturing & transport are highly desired. Experience in battery, fuel cell technologies or power generation systems are helpful.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for sustainability and the environment, will thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting, be self-motivated and have an interest in disruptive, cutting edge technology. Someone who understands the culture, the rigor and the challenges of a start-up environment.
- Product development through research, design and evaluation of mechanical systems and processes utilizing engineering principles.
- Lead and provides technical quality review of the development and documentation of mechanical and fluid systems and thermal environment to establish the system design
- Develop updates and redesigns of existing processes and related equipment that are feasible to manufacture or modify; accompanied by analysis, supporting information and recommendations.
- Actively communicate specific work requirements or needs to internal functions, such as purchasing and manufacturing to ensure expectations are understood as defined by engineering specifications.
- Design, develop, analyze and document process designs which meet the cost, reliability, manufacturability and safety requirements (P&ID, Functional Requirements, etc)
- Interface with suppliers, manufacturing, sales and marketing in the product development process.
- Utilize 3‐D CAD system, AutoDesk Inventor, to prepare detailed drawings of multiple views and apply mathematics and physics to compute load capacities, dimensions, material usage and Bills of Materials (BOMs).
- Conduct research to test or analyze the design, operation and performance of equipment.
- Prepare performance requirements for equipment and systems.
- Ensure engineering design and standards documentation is complete, accurate and sufficient in support of manufacturing and quality assurance activities, and compliant with customer specifications and regulations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the project team.
- Interface with and provide product specifications to suppliers.
Proficiencies, Skills & Experience
- Must be comfortable with Thermodynamics, fluid flow and structural analysis
- Must be a "self‐starter" and follow tasks through to completion with little guidance.
- Must be able to work in a Team environment to collectively solve problems.
- Must be able to multi‐task several projects and prioritize workload to meet business specific deadlines
- Experience with fluid flow and structural analysis
- Experience in packaging assemblies
- Comfortable in fast-paced, collaborative work environment.
- Experience in new-product technologies introduction and scale to manufacturing.
- Experience commercializing new products in a production environment is preferred.
- Able to work in a cross-functional and geographically dispersed team environment.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, affable, with demonstrated maturity and professionalism.
- Experience interacting with Lab and Engineering operations.
Requirements & Qualifications
- BS Engineering in Mechanical Engineering. MS preferred.
- 5 years’ experience in a Mechanical Engineering Design role.
- Proven proficiency in 2‐D & 3‐D CAD systems (i.e. AutoCAD & SolidWorks) for design, documentation and fabrication.
- Must have an in-depth understanding and application of quality principles, concepts, practices, and standards. (ASME 14.5)
- Legally authorized, U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. unassisted.
- Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations.
- As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis. At this time, we cannot support a visa sponsorship or transfer for someone who is of H1B1 status.
What ESS Offers
- In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, headquartered in the middle of the beautiful Pacific Northwest valley, ESS offers a competitive benefits package: Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; FLEX spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, a generous PTO accrual.